TOP 10 FILMS of 2010:
- The Social Network - The overly verbose script can feel overwhelming, but the execution and performances are superb.
- Blue Valentine – Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are heartbreaking and Cianfrance, makes this divorce tale feel like a love story.
- Kick-Ass – The most fun, inventive and entertaining movie of the year. Hilarious, heart-felt and (oh shit, I’m just gonna go ahead and say it) …..kick-ass!!
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World – The 2nd most fun, inventive and entertaining movie of the year. Or maybe it’s a tie! Loved it!
- Shutter Island – A nice old school psychological thriller. Well paced and well acted. After The Departed, it looks like Marty’s officially got his mojo back.
- The Kids Are All Right – Modern Family: The movie, and that’s a compliment of the highest order. Great script, great acting. Bening might finally get her Oscar.
- I Love You, Phillip Morris -A hilarious and twisted true story of two men in love, brought to vivid life by Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. I couldn’t imagine any other actor gamely diving face first into the material like Carrey and he nails it.
- Inception – I have dubbed this film “Subconscious Island”, but it could also be called “Matrix Island” as well. After SI the storyline (trippy is it real / is it not visuals, femme fatale wife, Leo) felt really familiar, but the set pieces were gorgeous and Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are always welcome.
- Black Swan – The tightly wound ballerina is perfect casting for an actress as tightly wound as Natalie Portman. Thank the slimy Vincent Cassel and a luminous Mila Kunis for giving this Swan wings.
- Zombieland – Yes, Jesse Eisenberg did a commendable job in The Social Network speed reading through Aaron Sorkin’s taught script at the pace of a coked-up lab rat and it was wonderful, but it was here that he gave us, nerdy, flirty, funny and zombie killing bad ass. And Woody Harrelson hasn’t had this much fun in too long.
TOP 20 SINGLES: (In no particular order)
- Bottoms Up_ Trey Songs f/ Nicki Minaj
- Hello Good Morning_ Dirty Money f/ T.I. (Remix f/ Rick Ross & Nicki Minaj)
- Baby_ Justin Bieber f/ Ludacris
- Ain’t No Son _ Court Yard Hounds
- Animal _ Neon Trees
- Fancy_ Drake f/ T.I.
- Acapella _ Kelis
- Rolling in the Deep_ Adele
- Telephone_ Lady Gaga f/ Beyonce
- Dog Days are Over_ Florence + The Machine
- Whip My Hair_ Willow Smith
- My Chick Bad_ Ludacris f/ Nicki Minaj
- OMG _ Usher f/ Will. I. Am.
- F*ck You_ Cee-Lo Green
- Billionaire_ Travie McCoy f/ Bruno Marz
- Freak_ Estelle
- We No Speak Americano_ Yolanda Be Cool vs. DCup
- Your Love_ Nicki Minaj
- Tighten Up_ The Black Keys
- Monster _ Kanye West f/ Jay-Z & Nicki Minaj
TOP 5 ALBUMS
- Lungs_ Florence + The Machine
- Pink Friday_ Nicki Minaj
- Night Work_ Scissor Sisters
- Court Yard Hounds_ Court Yard Hounds
- Flesh Tone_ Kelis
GREAT PERFORMANCES of 2010: LIVE
Janet on American Idol (Again/Nothing/Nasty) _ Miss Jackson is still serving you bitches. All hail.
En Vogue @ LA Pride_ Talk about still serving it! This was the pleasant surprise of the year. Did not expect them to still sound and look so amazing and put on one hell of a free show.
Kelis @ LA Pride_ This performance was fun and quick just like Pride. Too bad her actual concert couldn’t top it.
Florence + The Machine on the VMAs _ After all the lackluster performances of the year’s biggest hits, out of nowhere something lovely emerged and made everyone take notice. If you saw this performance, then you saw a star being born before your eyes.
Betty White on SNL _ Thanks to Facebook, the legend and only surviving Golden Girl took her place on the comedy throne she had too long eluded. Wizard of ASS!!!
Mila Kunis in Black Swan _ After making you fall in love with her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I’m glad she got this scene stealing role that is likely to get her an Oscar nomination. Next let’s hope someone gives her a starring role where she can really shine.
Halle Berry in Frankie & Alice_ So the film is a little hokey and feels like a 70's TV movie in the vein of Sybil or Three Faces of Eve, but those were award winning roles and this should at least net Berry a nomination for her virtuoso multi-character performance.
Andrew Garfield in The Social Network_ A wonderful breakout role. The heart of the social network.
Jim Carrey in I Love You, Phillip Morris _ This gay, genius, con-man feels like the role Danny Kaye was born to play. And since he isn't around there's no better replacement.
Tessa Thompson in For Colored Girls _ This was a film where the fine performances across the board elevated it from a typical Tyler Perry tear jerker, but Thompson's sexy, vulnerable turn was a standout.
Melissa Leo in The Fighter_ After her knock-out performance in Frozen River Leo is back with another one-two punch as Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg's tough-cookie Mama.
Annette Bening in The Kids Are All Right _ A relaxed slow burn of pure acting. There's never a moment where you don't believe every word she says.
Jeremy Renner in The Town _ I love Christian Bale and I understand why his performance in The Figher is so lauded, but when viewed alongside the soulful and ferocious Renner it comes off as a bit hammy. This is real, no frills, acting. Bravo!
Ryan Gosling in Blue Valentine _ Gosling has a rare quality in an actor where he can make me fall in love with him again every time I watch him on screen. This is no exception. I felt like it was February 14th and I was the only person in the theater.
Nina Dobrev on The Vampire Diaries_ The inventive writing went to new heights in the second season when Dobrev took on the dual role of the placid Elena and the fiery Katherine. Both the writers and the actress enjoy every delicious minute of it.
Ian Somerhalder on The Vampire Diaries_ All the best lines. All the best cheekbones. He's such a bastard, but you can't help but love him.
Ty Burrell & Eric Stonestreet on Modern Family_ It's hard to pick standouts on a show like this, but the never-not-funny Burrell and Emmy winner Stonestreet certainly never disappoint.
Gwenyth Paltrow on Glee_ She may be Country Strong, but on her irreverent guest spot she was Pop Sweet. The normally blah Oscar winner showed off her fun side and her silky pipes and made it look effortless.
Nicki Minaj & Bruno Mars _ If one of them didn't have something to do with your song. You didn't have a hit this year.
Mila Kunis_ The newly single beauty brought grace and wit to Black Swan and now I can't wait to see what she does next.
Justin Bieber_ Say what you want about his teeny bopper image, but this singing, dancing, multi-instrumentalist will probably be playing the 2040 Superbowl...and you won't.
Tom Hardy_ Another suave and sexy Brit. Thank God!
Andrew Garfield_ If he brings as much soul and sensitivity to the new Spiderman as he did to The Social Network people might start wondering "Tobey who?"
- Mila Kunis
- Nina Dobrev
- Rooney Mara
- Sofia Vergara
- Courtney Cox
- Daniel Criss
- Chord Overstreet
- Taylor Kinney
- Cam Gigandet
- Tom Hardy